Re: [RFC 7/11] virtio_pci: new, capability-aware driver.

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:21 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > BenH also convinced me we should finally make the config space LE if
> > we're going to change things.  Since PCI is the most common transport,
> > guest-endian confuses people.  And it sucks for really weird machines.
>
> Are we going to keep guest endian for e.g. virtio net header?
> If yes the benefit of switching config space is not that big.
> And changes in devices would affect non-PCI transports.

I think the concept of "guest endian" is broken by design. What does
that mean when running for example an ARM or a ppc 440 "guest" which
could be either endian ? Since you can't hard code your guest endian how
do you obtain/negociate it ? Also you now have to deal with dual endian
in the host, makes everything trickier.

Just make everything LE.

> Quite possibly all or some of these things help performance
> but do we have to change the spec before we have experimental
> proof?

Well, I would argue that the network driver world has proven countless
times that those are good ideas :-) But by all mean, let's do a
prototype implementation with virtio-net for example and bench it.

I don't think you need a single ring. For multiqueue net, you definitely
want multiple rings and you do want rings to remain uni-directional.

One other thing that can be useful is to separate the completion ring
from the actual ring of DMA descriptors, making the former completely
read-only by the guest and the later completely read only by the host.

For example take the ehea ethernet rx model. It has 3 rx "rings" per
queue. One contains the completions, it's a toggle-valid model so we
never write back to clear valid, it contains infos from the parser, the
tokenID of the packet and the index as to where in which ring the data
is, wich is either inline in the completion ring (small packet), header
inline & data in a data ring or completely in a data ring. Then you have
two data rings which are simply rings of SG list entries (more or less).

We typically pre-populate the data rings with skb's for 1500 and 9000
bytes packets. Small packets come in immediately in the completion ring,
and large packets via the data ring.

That's just -an- example. There's many other to take inspiration from.
Network folks have beaten to death the problem of ring efficiency vs.
CPU caches.

> > Moreover, I think we should make all these changes at once (at least, in
> > the spec).  That makes it a big change, and it'll take longer to
> > develop, but makes it easy in the long run to differentiate legacy and
> > modern virtio.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> > Rusty.
>
> BTW this seems to be the reverse from what you have in Mar 2001,
> see 87mxkjls61.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

That was 10 years ago...

> I am much less concerned with what we do for configuration,
> but I do not believe we have learned all performance lessons
> from virtio ring1.

Maybe we have learned some more since then ? :-)

> Is there any reason why we shouldn't be
> able to experiment with inline within virtio1 and see
> whether that gets us anything?
> If we do a bunch of changes to the ring at once, we can't
> figure out what's right, what's wrong, or back out of
> mistakes later.
>
> Since there are non PCI transports that use the ring,
> we really shouldn't make both the configuration and
> the ring changes depend on the same feature bit.

Another advantage of inline data is that it makes things a lot easier
for cases where only small amount of data need to be exchanged, such as
control/status rings, maybe virtio-tty (which I'm working on), etc...

Cheers,
Ben.