Re: [RFC 7/11] virtio_pci: new, capability-aware driver.

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 14:26 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> I'd say that's a special case but I see what you're getting at here.
>
> So what about keeping the config space read-only and using control
> queues for
> everything else?

Which is exactly what Rusty and I are proposing :-) I would go further
and eliminate the idea of a seqlock and instead of a status queue with
precise messages indicating what changed.

I would couple that with the new queue format allowing immediate data in
the descriptor to avoid having to use indirect buffers for these, which
means no allocation, no buffer pool etc... which makes everything a lot
easier to deal with as well.

We could probably have a helper library for sending control messages
which could handle waiting for a ring slot to be free (practically
always the case on control queues), writing the message, sending it and
waiting for a status queue confirmation message.

Cheers,
Ben.