Re: [kvm-devel] [RFC] KVM Source layout Proposal to accommodate new CPU architecture

Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
Zhang, Xiantao wrote:

Hi Avi,
	So you mean IA64 can adopt the similar method as well?

What method do you mean exactly?

Put all arch-specific files into arch/ia64/kvm as you described in
future KVM infrastructure.
The powerpc people had some patches to make kvm_main arch
independent. We should work on that base. To avoid a dependency on
the x86 merge, we can start by working withing drivers/kvm/, for
example creating drivers/kvm/x86.c and drivers/kvm/ia64.c. Later
patches can move these to arch/*/.
It may work on x86 side. But for IA64, we have several source files
and assembly files to implement a VMM module, which contains the
virtualization logic of CPU, MMU and other platform devices. (In KVM
forum, Anthony had presented IA64/KVM architecture which is a bit
different with x86 side due to different approaches for VT.).If we
put all such these arch-specific files in one directory, it looks
very strange!
ia64/ subdirectory is also fine.

But even so , we have to split current code to be arch-independent, and
to support IA64 and other architectures. So, why not add an more subdirectory x86 in drivers kvm to hold X86-arch
code?

Sure, that's not an issue.

And it should also conform with with future infrastructure in Linux.
Maybe we can borrow the idea from UML code structure.
Do you think so ?

Eventually I'd like to see the code in arch/*/kvm. That's probably not easily doable right now because modules cannot span directories, but once that's solved, we'll do that as this is most consistent with the rest of the kernel.