Re: [kvm-devel] [RFC] KVM Source layout Proposal to accommodate new CPU architecture

Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
> Hi Avi,
> 	So you mean IA64 can adopt the similar method as well?

What method do you mean exactly?

> But even so, I am still thinking we have to come out a solution for checking IA64 code into existing KVM upstream tree , because KVM infrastructure in mainline Linux may been a long way to go. Moreover, we also have no method to avoid the abstraction for existing code to support cross-architecture framework before what you pointed gets happen. For example, kvm_main.c is also required to split as common interface for all architectures. So, I think it has no big conflicts between our proposal and the final KVM infrastructure in mainline Linux. How about your ideas? :)

The powerpc people had some patches to make kvm_main arch independent.
We should work on that base.

To avoid a dependency on the x86 merge, we can start by working withing
drivers/kvm/, for example creating drivers/kvm/x86.c and
drivers/kvm/ia64.c. Later patches can move these to arch/*/.