Re: Vmware crashes if compress/misc.c scrolls?

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Zachary Amsden wrote:
I'm failing to understand exactly what the failure here is.  Can you
provide sample code that generates the problem?  Surely, it should be
possible to read the framebuffer.

The supposed test case was leaving the cursor at the bottommost line on
the screen before running the Linux kernel.

Do you have a sample bootsector that does this? I would very much like to try booting it rather than writing a mock-up which may or may not exhibit the same behavior. .iso, floppy images greatly would help.

The very good news is that I should be able to tell you exactly why the exception occurs. My first thought was perhaps a GDT foul-up resulted in a read-only code segment, and mov %cs:(a000) was faulting or something like that, but this is a total stab in the dark.

Thanks,

Zach