Re: Vmware crashes if compress/misc.c scrolls?

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
You mean "is a real failure"?  Or "is triggered by particular
instructions"?  It seems profoundly bogus (as in, surely DOS or
something reads the framebuffer).

A real failure (although only triggered from some variant of protected
mode -- paging off?)
Oh, it only happens in protected mode?  So the answer to "how does the
shadow framebuffer get populated?" is "real mode does it before
switching to protected mode".

Sure, but that means frobbing the boot parameter structure, with
associated problems.  I guess I'm not inherently opposed to it, but I'd
like to understand if there is a cleaner workaround first.

I'm failing to understand exactly what the failure here is. Can you provide sample code that generates the problem? Surely, it should be possible to read the framebuffer.

Zach