Re: [RFC, PATCH 5/5] Paravirt_ops export.patch

Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> 2) You must support dynamic re-linking - the kernel has to boot and
>>> use builtin native style operations before switching over to the
>>> virtualized operations.  So you have to have some kind of jettisonable
>>> early binding support.
>>>

>> I don't think there's any particular reason we can't do this very early,
>> at the same time we currently populate paravirt_ops.  I think the idea
>> is that if you do nothing, the calls will all point to the native
>> versions, so if you do the late-paravirtualization (do you still do
>> that?) then you'll get native ops initially.
>>

> Yes, we still do late paravirtualization.  My point is that because of that, you
> can't just link once and be done with it - you must relink the paravirt-ops
> later, which is more complex than a one time pre-execution link.

Then if it is causing problems and making the code more complex (and it sounds
like it is) please let's get rid of late paravirtualization.

arch/i386 is in bad enough shape with tons of unnecessary special cases.
We don't need the paravirtualization support adding more.

Eric