Re: todo

[added Ingo since he'd probably be interested in this]

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 21:00 -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Chris Wright wrote:
> > * Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >> Had a thought.  What if we do a kind of reverse/two-way module linkage?
> >> Somehow compile each pv-op implementation like a module, and then link
> >> the appropriate one in at boot time.
> >>

> > This is very similar to something Steve was chatting with me about
> > this morning.  The idea he was tossing around was something a bit like
> > an initrd that a load_module analog could link up.  In a sense, it's
> > similar to the VMI ROM, with the exceptions that the ABI is just created
> > by the compiler from a normal mutable kernel API and it's linkage with
> > symbols available on both sides.
> >

> Yeah.  It would have to happen a lot earlier than initrd.  It would be
> more like a multiboot kernel module or something.

I was taking a look at kernel/module.c and arch/i386/kernel/module.c and
it looks like we can copy/modify the former and use part of the later.

> >> Tricky parts: it would need two-way unresolved references between kernel
> >> and module, and it would need to be able to run very early in the
> >> kernel's life.
> >>

> > This is the tricky part, and where Steve and I left off.

I think it's possible. It still be tricky. We need to handle percpu
variables.  But I have some ideas on how to do it though.

> Fortunately the linker code should be pretty easy to make
> self-contained.   It shouldn't need to do memory allocations or anything
> complex like that, so I think its just a matter of grovelling around and
> fixing up linkages.

Well, we still need to make sure the kernel knows about this image, so
that it doesn't write over it.  I guess that can be done like the initrd
is.

> > I suspect we could free the unused backends already.
>
> We could; we just need to make sure they get their own section so
> they're easily separable.
>
> >   It also has one
> > negative side-effect, which is promoting external module code that links
> > with the kernel.  IOW, there's much less incentive to get code merged
> > if it's just a matter of linking.
>
> It wouldn't be something we'd promote by making it easy to bind
> out-of-tree code to the interface.  And it would still be a
> kernel-version-specific ABI; no guarantees of stability.

It will be very similar to how we handle modules (and out of tree
modules).

-- Steve