Re: todo

Chris Wright wrote:
> * Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Chris Wright wrote:
>>
>>> Consistently wrap paravirt ops callsites
>>> 	"ugh" - mingo
>>>
>> Had a thought.  What if we do a kind of reverse/two-way module linkage?
>> Somehow compile each pv-op implementation like a module, and then link
>> the appropriate one in at boot time.
>>

> This is very similar to something Steve was chatting with me about
> this morning.  The idea he was tossing around was something a bit like
> an initrd that a load_module analog could link up.  In a sense, it's
> similar to the VMI ROM, with the exceptions that the ABI is just created
> by the compiler from a normal mutable kernel API and it's linkage with
> symbols available on both sides.

Yeah.  It would have to happen a lot earlier than initrd.  It would be
more like a multiboot kernel module or something.

>> Tricky parts: it would need two-way unresolved references between kernel
>> and module, and it would need to be able to run very early in the
>> kernel's life.
>>

> This is the tricky part, and where Steve and I left off.

Fortunately the linker code should be pretty easy to make
self-contained.   It shouldn't need to do memory allocations or anything
complex like that, so I think its just a matter of grovelling around and
fixing up linkages.

> I suspect we could free the unused backends already.

We could; we just need to make sure they get their own section so
they're easily separable.

>   It also has one
> negative side-effect, which is promoting external module code that links
> with the kernel.  IOW, there's much less incentive to get code merged
> if it's just a matter of linking.

It wouldn't be something we'd promote by making it easy to bind
out-of-tree code to the interface.  And it would still be a
kernel-version-specific ABI; no guarantees of stability.