[RFC] First (incomplete) cut of Xen paravirt binding

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy at goop.org> writes:

>> Unless some major problems show up I will be merging this later this
>> week.
>>

> That should pose no problem.  For now, we're relying on starting uncompressed
> vmlinux kernel images; bzImage will be later.

Sure.  But I'm doing what I can to keep it from being very much later.

>> Adding ELF notes should not be in the same range of complexity
>> of adding a generic section.
>>
> I think there's general agreement that the ELF notes approach is a clear
> improvement over the string-in-__xen_guest-section approach, and we'll look at
> moving all the ELF-using platforms to using it.  (I suppose even non-ELF as
> well, so long as there's some way of finding the notes data somehow.)
>
> The big question for bzImage-with-ELF is whether the notes segment from the
> vmlinux image can be copied into the bzImage (and if it should be copied
> directly, or modified on the way).

It can be copied and if we can generate a clean notes segment it should
be copied directly.  That will require some refactoring but it should
not be too difficult.

Copying the notes unchanged does give us some small limits what
we can place in the notes segment but hopefully not in any really
problematic way.

In general I think it is good to keep vmlinux bootable all by itself,
but possibly without all of the bells and whistles.  It allows
interesting prototypes to be built.

> I'm going to include this patch in our first batch of patches.  Its much the
> same as the last one I sent you, but it includes some macros for actually
> generating notes.

At first glance everything appears sane.

So except for implementation details it looks like we are agreed
there.

So the final question is parameter passing.

Eric