Xen/Virtualization sessions at KS/OLS

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 12:39 -0700, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
> >
> > Rusty won't be at the Kernel Summit Session itself, only
> > you and Zach have invites, and Chris W, from those working on
> > this. Also we figured 30 mins wouldn't be enough. Hence the
> > Virtualization API BoF session that I'm proposing - really
> > just so that you, Jeremy, Ian, ChrisW, Zach and Rusty get to
> > sync up. Rusty should be in Ottawa by Monday night.
> >

> Still would be nice to sync up and make sure we're all on the same
> page.  Rusty, will you have time to meet before the kernel summit
> session on Tuesday or should we sync up over email?

I arrive Ottawa late Monday night.  I can crash the KS party.  I'll be
jetlagged out of my little mind, but maybe that will help 8)

BTW, re: previous discussion of unified entry point for hypervisors.
Someone mentioned how difficult it is to share a single entry for native
and paravirt, and I agree.  But it was also mooted that the current Xen
setup is fine for others to use, too.

AFAICT, the current CONFIG_XEN patches take over startup_32, so native
can no longer use it; I thought we wanted a single kernel which can boot
native and paravirt?

Hmm, it seems we *could* use startup_32 with %esi == 0 (currently
impossible?) as a new entry point.  The first instruction would be a
jump if it's zero (which should be OK since segment regs would be fine
in the case this branch is taken).

Out of my depth in x86-land...
Rusty.
--