virtualization kickoff

* Orran Y Krieger (okrieg@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> virtualization-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/30/2004 01:44:24 PM:
>
> > sorry I missed the informal BoF, BTW.  Are there any informal minutes
> > beyond the contents of this email?
>
> No minutes, sorry.  I did forget to mention in original email that another
> thing we agreed on was the need for consistent terminology, e.g., Domain
> versus Partition versus OS...

Yes, consistent terminology is always useful.

> Chris, thank you for hosting the mailing list.  Do we have somewhere where
> we can put documents... as we start developing them.  I wonder if a wiki
> is a plausible option? Be nice to even have a page with pointers to all
> the key publications in this space.

I set something up, and will post the link in a moment.

> > We have some buy in that at least hotplug cpu/memory and even some level
> > of changes to timer ticks are expected in mainline.  Also, if any of
> > these needs have code to back them up (regardless of the "hack level"),
> > that'd be helpful in grounding the conversation.  I'm curious about the
> > page reclamation strategies, for one.
>
> Can you point to the changes comming for timer?  I know that IBM has

Nothing more than some agreement that the area is ripe for work.  I believe there's
at least one patch floating around (from S/390 folks), but I haven't seen it.  There
was a BoF on this topic at OLS, perhaps someone can fill us in on the results?

> various things going on for page reclamation, can someone in the LTC
> collect the list?  Again, a wiki we can point poeple at to add their own
> bits would be cool.
>
> > > I am really wondering if we want more than just someone to host this
> > > mailing list, we will need to start maintaining various documents...
> > > hopefully testing code, etc...  Thoughts?
> >
> > Again, we have infrastructure here to do that.  I'd be happy to add what
> > we can to the mix.
>
> See above, what about a wiki for this?

Agreed, and underway.

thanks,