Re: compilation of OHCI

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 14:05 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > can someone explain to me why OHCI compiles in that strange
> > > manner?
> >
> > Please be more specific: Which aspect of the strangeness are you
> > interested in?  :-)
>
> The strangeness of compilation by #include

I don't know for certain.  My best guess is that this was to avoid
having to write prototypes in ohci.h for all the functions that are
invoked from source files other than where they are defined.  Or maybe
it was to prevent the names of these functions from becoming public
external symbols (and thus requiring an "ohci_" prefix).

Note that ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd are structured in the same way.  No
doubt because some of the same authors worked on all of them at about
the same time.

If you want to change ohci-hcd to use conventional linking of separate
object files, I won't mind.

Alan Stern