Re: Switching OMAP2430 MUSB between host and device mode

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 10:28:29AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Felipe:
> >
> > I've got an Android device that uses the omap2430 musb driver.  It's
> > configured to go into device mode when it starts up, which I guess is
> > the normal thing for Android devices to do.
> >
> > Can you explain how to switch the controller over to host mode (and
> > back)?  I tried writing "host" to the sysfs "mode" attribute, but all
> > that happened was an immediate crash and reboot.
>
> grounding ID pin should be enough.

I can't ground the ID pin.  The USB port is exposed through a
proprietary connector and cable; the far end of the cable has a normal
(not micro) type-A plug.  (In case it matters, the device is a Nook
HD.)

> If you're getting a crash when
> switching through sysfs, it's likely a bug in that kernel. Can you share
> the crash ?

There's nothing to share.  The device's screen goes all black and a
reboot begins right away.

Admittedly, this is a pretty old kernel (3.0 vintage).  Barnes & Noble
doesn't upgrade the the software for their devices very much.

> > (Related to this, it is notable that the omap2430_musb_set_mode()
> > routine ignores its second argument, musb_mode.  That looks awfully
> > strange, even if it is right.)
>
> it's strange because it's wrong :-) In all fairness OMAP2430 and onwards
> don't really need SW to switch between host and device roles, though.
>
> It's only good for testing when you have the wrong cable and still want
> to go to that role.

That's exactly the situation I'm in (except perhaps for the testing
part -- it's hard to get much information out of a commercial device).

Alan Stern