Re: Usb 3.0 external dd offlined, not ready after error recovery

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, [ISO-8859-1] Jorge Mu�Camadro wrote:

> > Although the drive is USB-3 and is capable of communicating at
> > SuperSpeed (5 Gb/s), it is running at only high speed (480 Mb/s).
> > This suggests there may be something wrong with the cable.  Are you
> > using a high-quality USB-3 cable?
>
> I'm using the one who comes with the drive, i've never changed it, and
> doesn't show any sign of been broken or something like that. It seems
> like a propietary model.

Well, it sure looks like something is wrong.  Do you have another
computer with a USB-3 port you can try plugging the drive into?

> > It's possible that this is a link power management problem.  There have
> > been reports of similar problems in that area, and a patch was posted
> > here:
> >
> >         http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=138005811528076&w=2
> >
> > Does the drive work with that patch installed?
> >

> Guess not, i'm using exactly the same kernel provided by my distro, no changes.

That patch is not yet included in any distro kernels.  To test it you
will have to build your own kernel.  Or else wait until your distro
releases it, which will probably take some weeks.

Alan Stern