Re: Cannot shutdown power use from built in webcam in thinkpad T530 questions]

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:38:56PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > gandalfthegreat:/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1.6/power# grep . *
> > > active_duration:61227648
> > > async:enabled
> > > autosuspend:2
> > > autosuspend_delay_ms:2000
> > > connected_duration:66830880
> > > control:auto
> > > level:auto
> > > persist:1
> > > runtime_active_kids:0
> > > runtime_active_time:18870052
> > > runtime_enabled:enabled
> > > runtime_status:active
> > > runtime_suspended_time:5324088
> > > runtime_usage:0
> >
> > This all looks correct.
>
> Since then, I've confirmed that I don't have the problem some time after
> reboot. It may be that the device doesn't seem to sleep well after I've used
> it once.
>
> What's interesting, is that I see this when power is plugged in:
>
> Power est.  Events/s    Category       Description
>   8.18 W    100.0%      Device         USB device: Yubico Yubikey II (Yubico)
>   8.13 W    100.0%      Device         USB device: Integrated Camera (Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.)
>
> Somehow I know that my Yubikey isn't using 8W, so powertop numbers need to
> be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't know where powertop gets its numbers from.  Perhaps it uses the
value reported by the device (bMaxPower).  That value is only a
maximum; it doesn't change to reflect the actual usage.

> Once I go to batteries, I see this:
>
> Power est.              Usage       Events/s    Category       Description
>   8.32 W    100.0%                      Device         USB device: Yubico Yubikey II (Yubico)
>   2.52 W     73.3%                      Device         Display backlight
>
> So at least for now, the camera does sleep ok, until later when it probably won't again.
>
> I'm somehow thinking there is a driver or hardware problem when the device
> does get stuck in a mode where it won't sleep properly again until the next
> reboot (just unloading/loading the driver does not fix this).

That's quite possible.  But if it is a driver problem, wouldn't
unloading and reloading the driver fix it?

> > You might get more information from a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
> > enabled.  Especially if you add
> >
> > #define VERBOSE_DEBUG
> >
> > to drivers/usb/core/driver.c before the first #include line.
>
> Do you think thaty would help debug the problem above, or not really? I'm

There's no way to know in advance.

> starting to think that the USB layer is not at fault, although I could be
> wrong I suppose.

You asked for advice on things to try, and I suggested something.
That's the best I can do.

Alan Stern