Re: [Bug] [Sony VAIO SVT15117CXS] USB 2.0 ports not working with any USB device

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Kevin Archer wrote:

> reading https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection now....
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Kevin Archer <kevin.archer88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > yes they were plugged in.
> > Bisection?

Indeed.

The only way I can think of to explain what you saw is if there is some
switch controlling the connections between the USB ports in the
computer case and the internal hubs.  The "lsusb -v" output clearly
stated that nothing was attached to those hubs, even though you had
plugged various devices into those ports.

On the other hand, the only thing I know of in the kernel which might
affect such a switch is the xhci-hcd driver.  It's possible that
unbinding xhci-hcd isn't sufficient to reset the switch (if it exists)
back to the original setting.  Maybe you would need to run a kernel
that doesn't have any xHCI support at all.  Can you build such a kernel
and test it?

Alan Stern