Re: [Bug] [Sony VAIO SVT15117CXS] USB 2.0 ports not working with any USB device

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Kevin Archer wrote:

> rmmod xhci-hcd yields:
> libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:753
> kmod_module_remove_module: could not remove 'xhci_hcd': No such file
> or directory
> Error: could not remove module xhci-hcd: No such file or directory

Oops.  Apparently the driver was not built as an unloadable module.
That's okay.  You can get more or less the same effect by doing:

	echo 0000:00:14.0 >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci-hcd/unbind

This will prevent the Logitech trackball from working, but that's okay
for a short test.  After the test, you can return to normal operation
by issuing the same command with "bind" in place of "unbind".

> as far as the 2.6.39 version
> I attached dmesg and udev - I was using a usb thumb drive and an
> aluratek usb bluetooth receiver to test with

Yes, good, that all looks normal.

There's one more thing to try (maybe I asked this earlier).  Back in a
3.1 kernel (a later version, like 3.10, would be better), while a
device is plugged in and there's no response, run these two commands:

	lsusb -v -s 1:2
	lsusb -v -s 2:2

as root and let's see what you get.

Alan Stern