Re: Linux USB power delivery

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:17:43PM +0530, Rajaram R wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Sarah Sharp
> <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've heard there's little to do at the software level, but I haven't
> > been following the spec closely.
>
> As I see it at least there has to be some framework that needs to
> support USB PD specific class requests and also some framework to
> manage USB-PD (may not be part of usb drivers).

Anything to manage USB PD devices probably needs to be added to the USB
core, not as a separate driver.  And you're really going to have to
convince me we need that framework, as we don't add userspace APIs
lightly.

> >  Are you volunteering to add support?
> >

> Sure

Hmm, ok.  Will you have access to hosts and devices that implement USB
PD eventually, or will you patches go in largely untested?  Are you
prepared to maintain the code after you push it into the kernel?

Also, do you have experience with adding new features to the Linux
kernel?  I don't see any patches with the author name Rajaram, so I
don't think you've ever gotten a patch in the Linux kernel.  Perhaps you
should start out with smaller cleanup patches to the staging tree before
you jump into adding a bigger feature?

Sarah Sharp