Re: Undetected Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 controller in Asus N43SN after replace a motherboard

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:18:24AM +0200, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had no problem with a USB 3.0 port in my Asus N43SN since I bought a
> laptop (~2 years). Recently I replaced a motherboard to the new one
> (N43SL.413 looks the same as the first one) due to a problem with a
> graphical chipset and after that a USB3 controller stopped to be even
> detected.
>
> $ lspci | grep -i USB
> 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
>
> (in the past there was also an additional USB3 controller - AFAIR Fresco
> Logic FL1000G USB 3.0).

Sounds like a BIOS issue, is there an upgrade for it somewhere?  There's
not much the usb driver can do if the PCI controller isn't found
anywhere :(

> I though it was a problem with a motherboard, but after boot with
> different kernel the controller showed up. I started to suspect a bug in
> kernel, but after two days (I use it only from time to time with my USB3
> hard drive) I noticed that USB3 port/controller is not visible anymore
> with any kernel. I don't know if this behavior is normal for a hardware
> malfunction.

Are there any PCI error messages / differences in your kernel boot log
of a working vs. non-working situation?

You might want to take this to the linux-pci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
list, the people there should be able to help out with PCI issues like
this.

thanks,
reg k-h