Re: Usb devices become invisible after a few plug/unplug of webcams

On 09/08/13 19:08, Alan Stern wrote:
On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Lionel Landwerlin wrote:

Hi there,

I'm playing with 2 small usb webcams, showing up the stream of the
camera with it's plugged in and hiding it when it's unplugged. I'm
basically using 2 external camera + the integrated one.

I've noticed the usb port just become unusable after a few plug/unplug.
The kernel won't show any device connected to it (phone, camera,
etc...). But it comes back after a reboot.
I tried to rmmod the xhci_hcd module to recover the ports, but it just
led to a backtrace.

Attached is my dmesg. I'm running on 3.11-rc4 on a Lenovo X230.
Let me know if I can help to debug this issue.
The log shows that you were using both USB-2 (ehci-hcd) and USB-3
(xhci-hcd) ports.  It would be best to concentrate on one at a time.
Which do you want to do first?

Alan Stern

Hi Alan,

I used the usb2 port at the end when the usb3 ports stopped working.
It seems the cameras do not work on usb2 anyway.

In the end I'm just trying to get an image on the screen. Whatever works really.

-
Lionel