RE: USB Interrupt Transaction Scheduling

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, Stoddard, Nate (GE Healthcare) wrote:

> As a follow-up question, is the processing of Ssplit and Csplit
> handled by the EHCI hardware?  Or does the kernel software need
> process the split transactions?  If it matters, the our PC
> configuration has CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y.

The driver has to set up the data structures for the transfers, which
includes scheduling when the SSPLIT and CSPLIT transactions will occur
and figuring out how much bandwidth they will consume.  The
transactions themselves are handled entirely by the EHCI hardware.

> > I don't see how you could have gotten more than 15 interrupt endpoints
> > running at the same time unless the endpoints' bInterval value was larger
> > than 1.
> >
>  On all 7 devices, the IN and OUT interrupt endpoints have bInterval
> = 1 wMaxPacketSize = 64.

Do you think this is worth pursuing?  It sounds like a bug, although it
might not be.

Alan Stern