Re: usb cdc-acm driver cause windows xp sp3 blue screen randomly

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 08:11:05PM +0800, Yingchun Li wrote:
> Hi,
>       I have a cdc-acm usb device, used for transfering data to/from windows PC,
> for windows PC, and I use the Documentation/usb/linux-cdc-acm.inf to load the
> windows driver(which is the usbser.sys).
>       On PC, there is an application use the COM port to transfer the data.
> During transfer, the windows happened blue screen(BSOD) randomly, sometimes
> one day, sometimes a few hours. I have the core dump, if needed I can post it.
>       It seems that the usbser.sys is buggy and problematic,
> http://www.microchip.com/forums/m469465.aspx
>       But I am not familiar with windows, could you give me some advice? and
> is there an open soruce driver work like usbser.sys?

I don't know of any opensource windows usb drivers, sorry.  You should
contact a Windows mailing list, or even better, Microsoft, as this seems
to be a bug in their code, which is not anything we (i.e. Linux
developers), have any control over.

The fact that you can crash a box by plugging in a "bad" device, has all
sorts of security issues...

good luck,

greg k-h