Re: Video corruption varies by system load

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are several cases where the isoc descriptor actual length is
> short (< 2892, e.g. 0, 552 or 1928), yet the actual_length for the
> whole URB at the end of the line is still 64*2892 -- is that like it should be?

Yup, as Alan stated, this is expected behavior.

> Also, is it expected that the em28xx doesn't have data to send for
> some microframes (for analog video capture e.g. during horizontal
> or vertical blank interval)?  I guess in the analyzer that should
> show as an IN token with no reply instead of DATA[012] replies.
> Can you confirm that in the error case there is no IN token at all?
>
> And another dumb question: Is there another USB video grabber
> with different hardware which also uses isoc and works?
> E.g. the cx231xx?  Or do you think it might have the same missing
> microframe issue but copes better with it due to larger
> buffer space on the device?

I've been actively testing also with an au0828 device (HVR-950q),
which has a virtually identical URB completion handler (not shocking,
since I copied it from the em28xx driver when I wrote it in 2009).
The HVR-950q doesn't exhibit any of the problems described in this
thread though (presumably because it has a larger on-chip FIFO).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com