Repeated disconnects of wired mouse

Dear Chaps,

I have a Microsoft Basic Optical mouse. When I used an earlier kernel
(2.6 series) it just worked. However, now that I'm using 3.4.51 it
suffers from USB disconnects and reconnects every 62 seconds precisely.
These disconnects do not occur whilst the mouse device is open. I have
tried two different wired mice in different USB slots of different
computers with different motherboard types, all to no avail.

Here are their details:

# lsusb -v
...snip...
Bus 005 Device 092: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
v2.0 Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x00cb Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 PixArt
  iProduct                2 Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Mouse
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.11
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      52
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
...snip...
# lsusb -v
...snip...
Bus 005 Device 094: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x093a Pixart Imaging, Inc.
  idProduct          0x2510 Optical Mouse
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 PixArt
  iProduct                2 USB Optical Mouse
[...]
#

What is interesting is that if I connect either mouse to the computer
via a hub, the timing of the disconnects becomes irregular and
unpredictable. I often find all the devices on the bus (ie. everything
but the root hub) disconnect themselves at much the same time as the
mouse does. Often the mouse doesn't reconnect to the bus. In any case
plugging in either mouse makes that entire bus distinctly unreliable.
This problem is not peculiar to any particular hub model.

I am using a virgin kernel and am not using a well-known user-space
distribution. I use udev to set up my device nodes, but that's all. To
me, this has a distinct whiff of USB suspend problems. I have attempted
to turn off USB suspend by repeatedly writing 'on' to all the
'power/control' files under /sys/bus/usb/devices. It did not help. I
also re-compiled the kernel with power management and usb suspend
support removed. This didn't help either.

I'd appreciate some advice.

Yours,

Larry.