Re: USB 3 webcam stop captures

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> This is a known issue.  Your patch is just a work-around though, and we
> should fix the underlying issue, rather than papering over it by
> changing it to an uninterruptible sleep.
>
> The chromium team ran into a similar issue, and we're having a
> conversation about the right way to fix it:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=136944610123147&w=2
>
> We'll try to Cc you on that conversation as it moves forward.

I noticed Julius's thread when he posted his patch.  In general, I
think he is right.  Drivers, as a rule, should not use interruptible
sleeps unless they know that they can never receive a signal (for
example, if they are running in a kernel thread).

There are exceptions, of course.  But in these cases, the driver always
has to take special care to handle an interrupted operation sensibly.

In this case, is there any good reason why xhci-hcd allows itself to be
interrupted during these waits?

Alan Stern