Re: USB3 SSD/HD device file disappears after "eject"

Hi,

On 29.05.2013 05:32, Grant wrote:

[...]
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

Unplugging and replugging the device does not result in the
reappearance of the /dev/sdb device file like it does with my other
external drives.  The only way to bring the /dev/sdb device file back
is to 'modprobe -r xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'.
[...]

I'm not sure where the problem is exactly but I think it is really
a problem with the power down of some USB hardware in the chain.
I am wondering why this still exists on your quite new hardware.
I see this here on my own (a few years old) laptop with experimenting
some power control settings.
I think your USB port got power switched off and so can't detect that
you have re-plugged a new device.
So my idea is, with reloading the kernel module the power is switched
on again.
Maybe there should be a config option in userspace to disable
powerdown and only unmount filesystems if it is not possible
to detect powerdown support of hardware?!

Best regards,
Markus