Re: USB3 SSD/HD device file disappears after "eject"

>> I just got one of these:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208913
>>
>> It seems to work fine except I get the following after ejecting it in Thunar:
>>
>> sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
>> sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
>
> That's to be expected.  Lots of devices will shut down after userspace
> told it to power down.  It was a feature request that Thunar and
> Nautilus added a year or so ago.
>
> Not all devices will do this, as their firmware does not support the
> powerdown command, which is why older devices do not act like this.
>
> If you don't like this, don't eject the device :)

OK good point.  In light of this, here's the real problem.  Ejecting
the SSD results in the "Writing data to device" desktop notification
persisting on the desktop instead of disappearing after a few seconds
like it does with my other external drives.  The following messages
appears in dmesg which does not appear when ejecting my other external
drives:

sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

Unplugging and replugging the device does not result in the
reappearance of the /dev/sdb device file like it does with my other
external drives.  The only way to bring the /dev/sdb device file back
is to 'modprobe -r xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'.

I originally wrote a problem report like this but then I convinced
myself that the *real* problem was the one I described in my previous
message which Greg proved it is not.

- Grant