Re: Huawei 3276 with option and cdc_ncm

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the LTE-stick huawei 3276 (in Germany also  alias "Telekom Speedstick
> LTE III") works well with linux. (also IPv6)

Thanks.  We have many reports that it works as expected for IPv4, but I
believe this is the first one for IPv6.  Not that it is surprising, but
you never know what the firmware engineers come up with...

> [  948.121071] usb 1-1: NCM: unexpected notification 0x01!
> [  948.129091] usb 1-1: NCM: unexpected notification 0x01!
> [  948.137063] cdc_ncm: wwan0: network connection: disconnected
>

> What does "unexpected notification" mean?  Should it be investigated,
> or is it harmless?

It is harmless, and this message will be demoted to a debug message in
v3.10. So you won't see it under normal use anymore.

CDC notification 0x01 is "RESPONSE AVAILABLE", which means that the
device has some message for the host/driver.  But we don't know what
protocol this device uses, so there is really no point requesting that
message.  I assume it is just reporting some connection related
information in some vendor specific protocol.  Maybe RNDIS?

Anyway, the device works fine using only AT commands for management and
that's what we currently support.

If you want to research the embedded management protocol, then you could
hack a cdc-wdm subdriver into the cdc_ncm driver temporarily, to have
access to those messages from userspace.  But this will require a few
changes to the cdc_ncm driver, since NCM is supposed to use the
notification endpoint.

I've also seen "NCM: unexpected notification 0x03!" from this device,
which is a little more unexpected.  Actually so unexpected that it has
suprised me twice - says a lot about my memory :)  AFAIK, 0x03 is still
reserved.  In CDC specs at least.  But then again this device isn't
really a CDC compliant device.  We just happen to support it using the
cdc_ncm driver because that's the framing the device uses.

Bjørn