Re: Why usb's remote wakeup relys on CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, linux fddl wrote:

> I am a new fish of linux usb host driver developper.
> Recently, when developping the host's PM function, I found that  usb's
> remote wakeup relys on CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. I do not know why we need
> such a restriction.
> Is it means if a usb host driver without the implementation of runtime
> suspend also can not(should not) support remote wakeup?
> Anyone would like to give me some help?

You are right; kernels built without runtime suspend also do not
support USB remote wakeup.  The reason is historical; the two features
were added at the same time and they shared the same implementation.

The situation will be different starting in the 3.10 kernel.  USB
remote wakeup will be supported whenever CONFIG_PM is enabled.

Alan Stern