Re: Piggy-backing new hardware using old usb-serial

On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 09:39 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> Greg's right, there's no reason not to use cdc-acm if you want to do
> that, since not all cdc-acm devices are modems.  If you get a USBIF
> vendor ID, then I'll happily add your device to the ModemManager probing
> blacklist too.

Yes, the cdc-acm approach has the distinct advantage of not having to
write one driver for each OS.

What does ModemManager probing consist of? Sending a few ATx commands to
see what the device is? On the interactive console that wouldn't hurt,
but on the proprietary data channel it could break things.

I assume that it poses no problem to the linux cdc enumeration if my
device reports two data interfaces (with two endpoints each).

Once I have added an interrupt endpoint and ignore the class specific
requests to meet the CDC-ACM interface and have a valid VID+PID pair,
I'll get back to you.

In case anyone else cares, I found some nice Dutch folks who resell PIDs
under their VID for cheap:
http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=92&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

I will probably go this route for now.