Re: Piggy-backing new hardware using old usb-serial

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 09:28:11PM +0100, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 13:06 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Our current prototypes borrow the Sierra VID
> > And the USB-IF might revoke your vendor id, if they find you shipping a
> > device with a different vendor id than the one you have been assigned.
>
> One of the reasons we borrowed that VID is that we do not currently have
> a VID assigned. We are still deciding whether it is worth joining the
> USB-IF just to get a vendor ID for a few thousands of devices.
>
> I am of the opinion that it is, but I cannot sign the membership forms
> on behalf of GSI. We probably will end up buying a VID soon.
>
> > Why not just add your device id to an existing driver, sending in a
> > patch to do so.  All distros will pick that up and then your device will
> > "just work" on all Linux distros.
>
> I was under the impression that drivers in the linux mainline had to be
> for hardware that was widely available.

Not true at all, we take drivers for _anything_ :)

> I take it then, that just adding support to an existing driver is
> acceptable?

That's also ok, if you are using the same chip that the driver supports.

> That wouldn't address people with older linux distributions, but would
> definitely be a good long term solution. It's really a shame there is no
> USB-IF standard for usb-serial... then things would even potentially
> work out of the box on windows.

You can use the CDC-ACM driver, as you have pointed out, which should
allow your device to work on any OS with no driver needed, so maybe just
use that instead.  There's no need to support modem commands in your
device if you use it.

> > > What driver should I target?
> > What chip do you use for your device?
>
> The device I am concerned about right now has an Altera arria2 connected
> to a cy7c68013a-56baxc (fx2lp). We have several form factor variations.
> A few have FTDI chips where I don't need to care, but can also do less.

If you use the ftdi chip, then use the ftdi driver, and add the device
id that ftdi gives you to it.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h