Re: What driver for generic bulk to tty?

Please make sure to keep all parties CCed in your replies.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 07:18:16PM +0400, Sergei Organov wrote:
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> writes:

> >> Thanks, but this is _not_ FTDI or any other widely-known device. It's not
> >> usb-to-serial converter or modem of any kind at all. Just a device to
> >> which one can talk over 2 USB bulk end-points, and I want to get a TTY
> >> to talk to it. Maybe some user-space alternative?
> >
> > For something like this, usb-serial may indeed be the best solution,
> > even though it has relatively low throughput.  I don't think any of the
> > more specific drivers are suited to this protocol.
>
> OK, thanks, get it.
>
> Now, if I'd like to adresss the problem from the other end, i.e., from
> the USB device side, what's the simplest thing I can implement so that
> some of the existing drivers can work with the device?

Use the generic driver, or add your device id to one of the pure wrapper
drivers (such as zio or funsoft).

> What is the right thing to implement (provided it does not match the
> simplest one)?

If it's not really related to any of the existing pure wrapper drivers,
add a new wrapper driver.

What kind of device are we talking about here? Would there be any users
of a mainline-driver?

Johan