Re: Fwd: a usb regression in kernel 2.6.37 and upper

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:31:28AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:21:57PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > What would an EHCI addendum have to do with your particular bug?  Or is
> > > this a different question?
> > >
> > > Alan Stern would probably be the best person to ask this question, since
> > > he's the EHCI maintainer.
> >
> > ehci-hcd does not support Hardware Prefetching.
> >
> > Since Intel played a big role in designing the EHCI 1.1 addendum, it
> > seems likely that they made some EHCI controllers supporting those
> > extensions.  But I don't know the details, and I don't know if the
> > controllers in the current chipsets support EHCI-1.1.
>
> I'll ask the hardware architects if any Intel EHCI host supports it.

It sounds like newer Intel EHCI hardware (since Ibex Peak/Nehalem) does
support the prefetching mechanism.  However, Microsoft didn't initially
support the addendum, and I don't know if they do today.  If Linux did
add support, we would be running code on hardware that may never have
had that functionality verified.

Basically, it doesn't sound like something we want to implement in
Linux.

Sarah Sharp