Re: USB3 4K HDD boot

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 06:56:16PM +0300, Bob Lemar wrote:
> Thank you, Greg, I will ask them.
>
> I couldn't find relevant information in grub/grub2 docs. And I suppose
> it is simply impossible because it is not implemented yet.

Odds are, your BIOS needs to support this, grub shouldn't be involved at
all in controlling a USB device.  So if the BIOS can't handle it,
there's nothing that grub can do.

> So i think loading OS by kexec is more promising. But initial image
> must be able to handle situation when root filesystem is at USB HDD.

That's trivial, any kernel should be able to handle it, I've been doing
that on one of my systems for over 10 years now.

> Do you know who is responsible or experienced with linux starting up process?

Why does the boot process have anything to do with this?

What errors does the kernel give you when you try to boot on this
device?

greg k-h