Re: Binding USB devices on LAN hosts to a peripheral controller using usbip

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:35:54 +0100
Carsten Neumann <delt0r@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2013, 01:06 Greg KH
> <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Well, I thought of better drawing a diagram. ;-
With very long lines :)

So a clearer way to describe the requirements is to say that you want
to extend USB over a pair of linux based boards which are linked by
ethernet.

So you have (going down the stack):
* a real host controller
* USB lead
* upper Linux board,
* ethernet link,
* lower Linux board,
* USB lead,
* Target device

I can see why it's attractive - you get the benefits of usbip, but for
any USB host regardless of OS, and without installing drivers on the
host (at the cost of requiring an extra Linux board).

There is an obvious problem that the timing requirements are not going
to be met when pushing the host's USB requests out to the IP layer,
through another computer and back again. How much this matters depends
on what the USB host is prepared to tolerate.

Richard