Re: Binding USB devices on LAN hosts to a peripheral controller using usbip

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Carsten Neumann wrote:

> I saw some sort of hub controllers but these were intended (and - I think - only usable) for "real" hardware USB hubs.

Have you ever heard of a chip that wasn't meant to be used for "real"
hardware?  :-)

> Those with 4 A plug ports on one and 1 B plug port on the other side.
>
> My concerns are that usual Peripheral Controllers have probably limitations so they can act only as one device at a time.
> Am I correct?

Yes.  Even hubs can act as only one device.

> If I'm wanting too much, I have to fall back to a single device emulation.
>

> > > I did read something about hub controllers, but are these what I mean
> > > and are any supported by the linux USB stack?
> >
> > From the host side, yes, since the beginning (1999 or so).
>
> As I mentioned: this is not what I asked for.
>
> How about the device side?

That is not possible.  The bus requirements are too stringent for a
software-based implementation of a USB hub.

Alan Stern