Re: [usb-storage] Re: USB storage suspend

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> On Friday 18 January 2013 14:09:26 Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > The autosuspend delay at the USB level probably should be set to 0;
> > then the autosuspend delay at the SCSI disk level will control the
> > actual power changes.
>
> What about things like lsusb? Should we better not go down quite
> to zero?

I don't think lsusb will matter.  usbfs prevents autosuspend for as
long as the USB device file is open.

> > Note that drives with removable media are polled automatically by the
> > kernel at intervals of 2 seconds by default.  If the autosuspend delay
> > is longer than that, it will never have a chance to take effect.
>
> Unfortunately most storage devices in the usual dongle shape, even if
> they do not have a removable medium claim to have a removable medium.

Some do and some don't.

> Actually I consider this a bug in the spec. It should specify a method
> for the device to tell the driver whether medium removal or insertation
> will trigger remote wakeup.

Neither the USB mass-storage spec nor the SCSI spec includes any
support for remote wakeup at all.  So the lack of a method doesn't
matter; medium changes _never_ trigger remote wakeup!

You might conclude that _this_ is a bug -- they should cause remote
wakeups.  The problem is that this isn't possible; a USB mass storage
device might be a real SCSI host, communicating with real SCSI devices
over a real SCSI bus.  In such a situation, the SCSI host has no way to
know when a device experiences a medium change.

Alan Stern