Re: USB Device 2232:1029 - Whassat?

On 12/16/2012 02:13 PM, Business Kid wrote:
This is, I think, a webcam built into the Samsung 350V model
NP350E7C-A05UK. I can't see it in windoze 8's pathetic excuse for a
'control panel' or the latest usb.ids. I Imagine 2232 is registered
somewhere as a manufacturer but I've no hint who made it. If it's not
the webcam, it's probably an sd card reader. The box is supposed to
have both, but I only see the webcam. The spec just says "1.3 MP
Camera."

More to the point, I imagine there are fewer webcam chips than web
camera makers in the world, so a driver may indeed already exist for
it, or something similar. I will have linux installed on this by the
end of the week.  I'm limited by the UEFI under the windows 8
implementation as Samsung have it is an absolute disaster area for
dual boot, so I'm buying an ssd and will install with secure boot
disabled asap. I already have linux-3.6.10 compiled for the box(with
every webcam module), and can try a few things then. In the meantime,
any hints welcome.

Not sure how to track down the manufacturer, but these days I think webcams need to use a UVC interface in order to get Windows logo certification, so it's likely to already be supported by the kernel.

How do I even find who manufacturer "2232" is?