Re: USB issue with kernel 3.6

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 01:03:22PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, Piergiorgio Sartor wrote:
>
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > I updated the bugzilla entry with some attachments.
> >
> > One (split in two) is the log from usbmon with the patch
> > you provided (I hope I did it correctly).
>
> This usbmon trace doesn't contain anything significantly different from
> the previous one.  You can delete the two big files from the bug report
> if you want.

OK, I'll do that.

> More importantly, where's the dmesg output from the patch?

Damm it! I knew I missed something.
I understood the patch was adding verbosity to usbmon.
Sorry, I got it wrong.

I'll give it another round, with dmesg

How about the registers? Any hint there?

> > The other is an archive with all the register information
> > I could think of.
> >
> > I tested with 4 HDDs only and I was not able to see a crash
> > of the USB subsystem.
> >
> > About using only one HUB, that might be a bit tricky, but
> > since each HUB has 4 ports (the 1-to-7 has internally two
> > 1-to-4 cascaded) I guess I've only to make sure the 4 HDDs
> > was *not* running on single HUB.
> > If it was, then a different connection must be tested,
> > otherwise, I guess, we will not get more information by
> > connecting the 4 HDDs to a single HUB.
>
> It's not clear...  In fact, using fewer drives and hubs may not provide
> any useful information at all.  This is just trying whatever I can
> think of to see what's going wrong.
>
> > The problem I've is that it is not really easy to
> > convert from /dev/sdX to lsusb to SCSI mappings...
>
> The necessary information is all there in the dmesg log.

OK, so I'll try both cases again.

Thanks for the support, sorry for the waste of time.

bye,

--

piergiorgio