Re: USB issue with kernel 3.6

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 03:46:38PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Piergiorgio Sartor wrote:
>
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > thanks for the patch.
> >
> > I'll try to apply it and report the results,
> > including the USB EHCI register files.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I cannot provide a "deadline"
> > (so to speak), I'm quite busy at the moment.
>
> Don't worry about it; I'm not in any hurry.
>
> When you do get around to testing, don't forget to try combinations
> with fewer drives and/or only one hub.

Hi Alan,

I updated the bugzilla entry with some attachments.

One (split in two) is the log from usbmon with the patch
you provided (I hope I did it correctly).

The other is an archive with all the register information
I could think of.

I tested with 4 HDDs only and I was not able to see a crash
of the USB subsystem.

About using only one HUB, that might be a bit tricky, but
since each HUB has 4 ports (the 1-to-7 has internally two
1-to-4 cascaded) I guess I've only to make sure the 4 HDDs
was *not* running on single HUB.
If it was, then a different connection must be tested,
otherwise, I guess, we will not get more information by
connecting the 4 HDDs to a single HUB.

The problem I've is that it is not really easy to
convert from /dev/sdX to lsusb to SCSI mappings...

bye,

--

piergiorgio