Re: doubt about usb_cancel_queued_reset()

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in usb_unbind_interface() we call usb_cancel_queued_reset() before
> restoring altsetting 0. This seems wrong to me. If a driver found it
> necessary to reset a device we cannot simply ignore that. I'd say
> that we should wait for the work to finish, not cancel it.
> What do you say?

Since the driver is being unbound from the interface, it no longer has
any control over what happens to that interface (or the device).  In
particular, it no longer has any right to ask for a reset.

Furthermore, if the queued reset is attempted after the driver has been
unbound, it will fail.  That's because usb_lock_device_for_reset() will
return an error if the interface's condition is UNBINDING or UNBOUND.

Alan Stern