Re: problem with Roseweil eusb3 enclosure

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On a device connect, the port can go into either Compliance Mode or
> Inactive on various link failures.  Also, the ports can change state
> into Inactive if the U1/U2 exit fails.  So if we have Link PM enabled
> for a USB 3.0 device, the port can go into Inactive at any time.
> Therefore we need to be able to handle both Inactive and Compliance in
> hub_events.

I see.  To answer your original question: If a reset is needed at some
random time in hub_events(), say because of a link state transition
failure, then yes -- you do need to go through the whole
pre-reset/post-reset thing.

In practice the best approach is simply to call usb_reset_device().
That calls through hub_port_init() to hub_port_reset(), which would
then have to be smart enough to figure what sort of reset was needed.

> > The cleanup certainly looks worthwhile, but I didn't do a detailed
> > review.  The changes are too big and far-reaching to be understood just
> > by reading the patch.
>
> Yes, it's a fundamental change to the port handling code.  I do want to
> get it into stable, because other people are likely to run into this
> issue, but I'm really concerned about the amount of code changes.  Maybe
> it shouldn't be marked for stable at all?

Maybe not.

Alan Stern