host to host usb transfer

Hi all

I need to connect two computers and exchange data through usb cable. I have
googled the subject and all I know so far is that it is impossible with
straightforward approach and inadvisable. However I need it.

I do wrote some soft to read/write from usb device with libusb or with hidapi
and it works. I'm aware that two computers are both "hosts" and direct
connection between them is not possible.

There is however something like USB Bridge cable, usually sold with some
software for windows computers to exchange data, so I understand that this USB
bridge cable provides an interface that is visible as a device on both
computers, right?
This is actually my question, if there is anyone who has expierience with that
cable or this approach.
If I connect two computers with this cable is it possible to use libusb to
manage control and bulk transfers on each side, just as if I was talking to
"regular" usb device.?

many thanks in advance
Marek