Re: [RFC] aio: remove retry and cancel

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 07:23:25PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Let's address the lack of support issue before deprecating required parts
> > of the API.  Or make the case to rip everything out.
>
> Come on, this has been the case for, what, 10 years? Or for however long
> that we've had this aio interface.

I fully conceed that nobody has done any real work on it for the last 9
years.  The question of where to go from here is wide open.

> I'd be happy just bypassing the cancel, in fact I did just that to
> actually make aio scale to any extent at all. But using the lack of a
> support as an argument to keep that interface is just a non-starter to
> begin with. It's clearly NEVER goint to get done.

That's not the argument I'm making.  The argument I'm making is that any
AIO API requires cancellation functionality for file descriptors that are
not block based IO that completes within a bounded amount of time.  Any
replacement will have to address that issue to be a real solution to the
problem.

		-ben
--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."