Re: [RFC] aio: remove retry and cancel

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:00:54AM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> > Not all IOs will complete within a bounded amount of time.  Think of things
> > like pipes, network send/receive, even the USB gadget code.
>
> Yes, I know.  That's the theoretical position.
>
> But reality doesn't match that view.  People aren't using it.  If the

But that's an issue of the lack of support for the functionality.  The
kernel doesn't implement the functionality for 99.99% of file descriptors,
so of course it's not going to be used.  If, as we were chatting about,
other uses can be made possible by using a thread pool or some as yet
undecided approach, it will be required.

Let's address the lack of support issue before deprecating required parts
of the API.  Or make the case to rip everything out.

> usb gadget code can do without then the actual users of aio can be made
> a wee bit faster without having to build cancel code without users to
> hammer on it.

Gadget cannot.  The code has no control over when a request completes.
Think of things like talking to a USB serial port or keyboard directly.
Afaik it is getting used for USB direct access in a number of cases, which
goes to show that if the functionality is implemented, people will use it.

		-ben
--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."