Re: usbserial & ftdi_sio problem

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:47:23PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Mostafa Kassem wrote:
> > the Wifi module is this one from connectone:
> > http://www.connectone.com/?page_id=233
>
> This may be the dumbest USB wifi module I have seen.
>
> Have you already developed a software stack which depends on the
> proprietary vendor protocol that they call AT+i?
>
> If no, I would suggest that you reconsider using this module and go
> for a USB wifi module which is well supported by Linux instead. You
> would then be able to benefit from the Linux networking stack.
>
> If yes, I think you have to create a driver for the device. There is
> no driver that directly supports the device. Fortunately you can
> re-use the usb-serial driver, and turn that into a specific driver
> that fits this hardware. The total engineering effort required is on
> the order of a few hours.

Yes, I can whip up a driver for this that uses the generic interface in
a few minutes.

But, if Mostafa is stuck at RHEL 6, there's nothing that we can do here
to help out at all, sorry.  Mostafa, can you try a recent kernel.org
release (like 3.6.2?)  If so, I'll be glad to give you a driver to test
with.

thanks,
greg k-h