Re: xhci_hcd and Canon Lide 110 not playing well together

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Holger Freyther wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some severe issues with USB on a new system. This is
> an Acer Aspire S5 (i7, Ivybridge) and the scanner can be mostly
> classified as non working.
>
> Symptoms:
> 1.) Start a scan application (e.g. simple-scan)
> 2.) Scan a page
> 3.) Exit the app
> 4.) Start a scan application (e.g. simple-scan)
> 5.) Scan a page..
>
> In step five the scanning will not start. There is no kernel
> output. I have tried putting a USB 2.0 hub between the physical
> port and the scanner but the symptoms remain the same. The issue
> occurs on 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6.x. I initially created a bug report on
> the kernel bugzilla and will link to the uploads I made there.

What is the bugzilla report number?

> lsusb without the scanner attached [1]
> lsusb with the scanner attached[2]
> pcap file of usbmon when it does not work[3]

It's notable that the pcap file does not show any data being sent from
the scanner to the computer, only from the computer to the scanner.

> I am using Debian unstable and by default sane-backends is built
> with libusb-0.1 support, I rebuilt it to use libusb-1.0.0. I have

The necessary support isn't present in libusb-1.0.0.  I don't remember
in which version it was added, but you should try running the lastest
version.  (In fact, maybe the support wasn't added to libusb at all,
but only to libusbx.)

> seen an old mail from Sarah about xhci/libusb and I added the
> following to my cmdline (usbcore.usbfs_memory_mb=1000) but it didn't
> change anything. I am using 3.6.2 right now and have enabled the
> xhcd debug option and can provide more output.

What makes you think this is related to xhci-hcd in any way?  Maybe the
scanner just isn't working -- you said so yourself in the first
sentence.

Alan Stern