Re: Possible bug: xhci driver prevents hibernation

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 03:27:00PM +0200, Sergio Callegari wrote:
> Dear Sarah Sharp,
>
>     please take my apologize in advance if this message should have
> been sent elsewhere rather than your email.
> From the 'Reporting bugs' doc I got the feeling that bugs should be
> reported to subsystem maintainers directly, but maybe I am wrong and
> a ML would be more appropriate.

It's always good to Cc the mailing list as well, so that other people
with the same problems can see the mailing list archive.

> My hardware is a system with an ASROCK N68S motherboard, AMD Phenom
> II processor and a VIA VL800/801 PCI USB3 adapter.
>
> My software consists in 64bit linux with the ubuntu precise userspace.
> I have tried both the ubuntu 3.2 kernel and the mainline kernels up to 3.5.

Not that I think it will help, but have you tried 3.6.2?  Did hibernate
work with any older kernel version?

> The issue that I see is that the xhci driver prevents the system from hibernating.
> The behavior is weird: when you ask the system to hibernate, the OS
> does everything it should to save the state to disk and also appears
> to shut down the system (the fans stop). However, after half a
> second the system restarts by itself, resuming from the hibernation.

Sounds like your host controller is sending a wakeup event that brings
the system out of hibernate.

> If I remove the VIA usb3 card, the system hibernates correctly and
> resumes from hibernation fine (only when asked to do so!).
> Similarly, if I manually unbind the xhci_hcd driver from the usb
> card on the pci bus, before hibernation then the system hibernates
> and resumes in the correct way.
>
> I am writing this message to assure that you are aware about this
> issue. It has already been reported on the ubuntu bug tracker, but I
> am not sure whether ubuntu has forwarded it upstream.

Ubuntu doesn't forward me bugs relating to xHCI, although I wish they
would.

> A hack to solve the issue consists in adding rules to the power
> management subsystem to automatically unbind xhci before hibernation
> and rebind it at wakeup (using information stored in a temporary
> file before hibernation), as proposed at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/522998/comments/61.
> However, this solution looks rather inelegant.
>
> You can get detailed information about my hardware at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1058725.

It doesn't look like you posted dmesg that includes the failed hibernate
attempt.  That would be useful.  You could also compile with
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING turned on, which could provide some more
insight into what the xHCI driver is doing.

Sarah Sharp