Re: Linux xHCI driver problems (reset ep)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Yuliya T wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  We independently ended up with the same
> workaround, but still weren't happy with it.  The problem is we don't
> want to relinquish access to the device, but to do set-interface, you
> have to do release interface,

No, you don't.  It's the other way around: You have to _claim_ the
interface before doing a Set-Interface call (although if you haven't
claimed the interface already, the Set-Intf call will claim it for you
automatically).

Maybe you're thinking of Set-Configuration.  For that one you _do_ need
to release all the interfaces.

>  and t's a little strange that you are
> releasing access to the device just to keep using it.

For Set-Configuration, it's arguable that you are _not_ just going to
keep using the device.  Set-Config can make very substantial changes,
such as destroying all the existing interfaces.

>  While it is
> unlikely that we will have some other process come in and grab the
> interface, it still just strikes us as unclean.

See above.

Alan Stern